The Church Rocks!
by Mary Lea Hill, FSP
The story of the Church is an epic drama, filled with adventure, danger, politics, sacrifice, and courage. Sister Mary Lea Hill tells this exciting story in a book sure to thrill children ages 10 and up, taking readers on a whirlwind tour of Church history that will enlighten and entertain everyone.
Hill starts with the very beginnings of Christianity and goes on to the troubles of the early Church, the conversion of Constantine, the "days of danger" of the fifth-century persecutions, the mystery of the Dark Ages, the Great Schism, the different popes, saints, and missionaries, the Crusades, the breakaway of the Protestant Reformation, the dialogue between science and religion, political movements, and finally brings readers to the new evangelization of the 21st century.
Sometimes it's easy to feel disconnected from the past: this is true for families and countries, and it's also true for religions. The Church Rocks will help young readers reconnect with their collective history and understand how the past led to the present? and leads on still further into the future.
Features & Benefits:
Highlights of Church history are presented in an engaging way for children, parents, and teachers, with every chapter including:
- Fun fictional "eyewitness accounts" to make events come alive
- Additional "factoids," small snippets of information
- "Once upon a word," providing explanations of word meanings
- Timelines, so that readers can see events in relation to each other
- A prayer relating to the situations and people in the chapter
- Brief biographies or "snapshots" of each major character
- A "mystery of history" that sparks curiosity about mysteries of the past
- The "latest and greatest" tying Church-related episodes to concurrent events in the secular world
- "On the record" excerpts from historic accounts and quotes from major players
- Activities that complement information, and resources for further exploration
About the Author:
Sister Mary Lea Hill has been sharing her dry wit and offbeat wisdom with the Daughters of St. Paul since 1964. An experienced writer and editor, she has written a number of books, including Prayer and You: Wit and Wisdom from a Crabby Mystic and Blessed are the Stressed. Sister Lea currently carries out the Pauline mission in St. Louis, Missouri, and shares her signature humor with the rest of the world on Twitter @crabbymystic. Product Details:
Trim size: 6 ½" x 8 ¾"
100 Activities Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2nd Edition
New and updated second edition! Sometimes when teaching children an aspect of our Catholic Faith, it is helpful to have a special activity to reinforce the lesson. They need exercises...
22 Ready-Made Prayer Services
by Maryann Hakowski 22 Ready-Made Prayer Services is a rich resource that invites both the novice and veteran youth minister to create and foster prayer experiences that challenge teens to...
31 Days to Becoming a Better Religious Educator
by Jared Dees Creator of the popular website The Religion Teacher, Jared Dees shares practical, easy-to-use teaching strategies and exercises for spiritual growth in his book 31 Days to Becoming...